Adam Wolkin, MD
Dr. Wolkin is Associate Professor and Vice Chair of Psychiatry at New York University School of Medicine. He attended Temple School of Medicine from 1974 to 1978 and completed a Psychiatry Research Residency at NYU and Bellevue Hospital in 1982. Subsequent research training was supported in part by anNIMH Research Fellowship under mentorship of Dr. Burt Angrist. Since 1998, Dr. Wolkin has been the Associate Chief of Staff for Mental Health at VA NY Harbor Healthcare System, overseeing a continuum of mental health care programs at various VA facilities within NY City. Dr. Wolkin's funded research has focused on brain imaging in schizophrenia utilizing PET,MRI and functional MRI. He has also participated in clinical studies of thepathophysiology of psychosis and numerous trials assessing medication efficacy. More recently, he has served as a site PI in several VA Cooperative studies of treatment interventions in Schizophrenia and PTSD.
Ongoing goals reflects the mission of both the NYU Department of Psychiatry and the NY Harbor VA Medical Center – to deliver quality, evidenced-based care toveterans including recently returning service men and women, to encourage and support the professional growth of Psychiatry Department faculty who work at the VA, to provide a rich and rewarding training experience for medical students and residents during their rotations at the VA, and to facilitate and supporttranslational and services oriented research.
- Wolkin A,Jaeger J,Brodie J, Wolf A, Fowler J, Rotrosen J, Gomez‑Mont F,Cancro R. Persistence of cerebral metabolic abnormalities in chronic schizophrenia as determined by positron emission tomography. American Journal of Psychiatry 142: 564‑571, 1985.
- Wolkin A,Angrist B, Wolf A,Brodie J, Fowler J, Jordan B,Jaeger J,Cancro R, Rotrosen J. Effects of amphetamine on local cerebral metabolism in normal and schizophrenic subjects as determined by positron emission tomography. Psychopharmacology 92: 241-246, 1987.
- Wolkin A,Angrist B, Wolf A,Brodie J, Wolkin B,Jaeger J,Cancro R, Rotrosen J. Decreased frontal glucose utilization in chronic schizophrenics: a replication study. American Journal of Psychiatry 145;251-253, 1988.
- Wolkin A, Barouche F, Wolf AP, Rotrosen J, Fowler JS,Shiue C-Y, Cooper TB,Brodie JD. Dopamine blockade and clinical response: Evidence for two biological subgroups of schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry 146; 905-908, 1989.
- Wolkin A,Sanfilipo M, Wolf AP,Angrist B,Brodie JD, Rotrosen J. Negative symptoms andhypofrontality in chronic schizophrenia. Archives of General Psychiatry; 49:959-965, 1992.
- Wolkin A,Sanfilipo M,Angrist B, Duncan E,Wieland S, Wolf AP,Brodie JD, Cooper T,Laska E, Rotrosen JP. Acute d-amphetamine challenge in Schizophrenia: Effects on cerebral glucose utilization and clinical symptomatology. Biological Psychiatry: 36:317-325, 1994.
- Wolkin A,Sanfilipo M, Duncan E,Angrist B, Wolf AP, Cooper T,Brodie JD,Laska E, Rotrosen JP. Blunted change in cerebral glucose utilization afterhaloperidol treatment in schizophrenic patients with prominent negative symptoms. American Journal of Psychiatry. 153:346‑354, 1996
- Wolkin A,Rusinek H, Arena L,Vaid G,Lafargue T,Sanfilipo M,Loneragan C,Lautin A, Rotrosen J. Structural MR image averaging in schizophrenia. American Journal Of Psychiatry. 155; 1064-1073, 1998.
- SanfilipoM,Lafargue T,Rusinek H, Arena L,Loneragan C,Lautin A, Feiner D, Rotrosen J, Wolkin, A. Volumetric measures of the frontal and temporal lobe regions in schizophrenia: relationship to negative symptoms. Archives of General Psychiatry 57; 471-480, 2000.
- SanfilipoMS,Lafargue T,Rusinek H, Arena L,Loneragan C,Lautin A, Rotrosen JP, Wolkin A. Cognitive performance in schizophrenia: relationship to regional brain volumes and psychiatric symptoms. Psychiatry ResearchNeuroimaging 116; 1-23, 2002.
- Wolkin A,Rusinek H. A Neuropathology of Psychosis? Lancet 361, 270-271, 2003.
- Wolkin A, Choi, SJ,Szilagyi S,Sanfilipo M,Ejercito M, Rotrosen JP, Lim, KO. Inferior Frontal White Matter Anisotropy and Negative Symptoms of Schizophrenia: A Diffusion Tensor Imaging Study. American Journal of Psychiatry 160; 572-574, 2003.
- Wolkin A,Malaspina D,Perrin M,McAllister T, Corcoran C. Psychotic Disorders. In, Textbook of Traumatic Brain Injury , Second Edition, American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. Silver JM,MCallister TW,Yodofsky SC eds, 2011